In this article, I am going to tell you about the Pangong Lake. Will also tell how to reach there and why one should visit this place.
Click to below image slider to see more images of Pangong Lake and nearer places
Pangong lake is about 4350m from sea level. It is also the world’s highest saltwater lake, 134km long and 5km wide at its broadest part. Pangong Lake is a beautiful and blue lake in Leh Ladakh. This lake extends from India to China, in which 60% lake lies in China and rest lies in India.
Altogether it covers 604 sq km. It is the same lake we saw in the movie 3 Idiots. After that, the Pangong Lake became very famous among the people. Before that a handful of people know about the lake.
Pangong Lake Distance From Leh
One can reach Pangong Lake by 8hrs drive from Leh. The Pangong Lake distance from Leh is 160km through the world’s third highest motorable pass “Changle Pass”. One can cover Thicksey, Hemis and Shey monasteries while travelling through this route.
If you are coming by this route, you need to take the Manali – Leh highway. And keep driving till you reach Karu. Leave the Manali – Leh highway from Karu and turn left towards Sakti then continue towards Chang La.
Once you reached Chang La keep going towards Durbuk. Within few hours you will reach the town of Tangste. From Tangste, Pangong Lake starts appearing after about of 8km.
How to reach Pangong Lake
Like other tourist places in India, Pangong Lake, Leh does not have better connectivity with other parts of the country. And its not that easy for domestic tourists and foreigners to reach there.
If you are going by air, Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport is available. This airport operates only in the day time due to the presence of mountain and winds in the night.
You can go by road. There are two possible routes, one is from Delhi to
The other route is via Sringar and Kargil, this route remains open throughout the year for army convey. You can follow this route for leh from Delhi to Ambala => Pathankot => Srinagar => Kargil => Leh.
There is no direct route to leh so possibility of routes are only by road and by air. After reaching leh you can easily reach Pangong Lake by hiring a bike or Taxi.
Weather at Pangong Lake changes from January to December and from morning to midnight. You can avoid the tour from November to April due to heavy
In summer from May to October you will get the normal temperature in the day time. And very cold in the night however the lake does not freeze this time.
The temperature from morning to midnight also changes very rapidly. In day time in summers you can get the maximum of 20degree. In the morning and evening you will get a maximum of 10-12.
The temperature may go down up to 0 degrees in the night. You can check temperature of Pangong Lake in below table. Even you have
Useful Information For visitors
- It is a beautiful lake which changes its colour from morning to evening.
- Never miss one day stay at lake camps or in local homestay whenever you visit Leh. The natural beauty experience of both day and night at Pangong Lake is awesome.
- A thick layer of ice freezes on the lake during the winters. It also has an amazing experience if you are planning to go there in winters.
- Inner Line Permit (ILP) is compulsory before a visit to Pangong Lake. In previous times it was a very long process. But now you can easily get the permit online using the website http://lahdclehpermit.in/. Your permit should be signed and stamped at TIC office, Opposite J&K Bank, Main Market, Leh. At the time of taking the
permit400/- fee and 20/- an environmental fee will be charged.
- Roads from Leh to Chang La are not good. Some rough patches are there with some ups and downs in the road. After
thatthe road conditions get better.
- When it comes to the vehicle. If you are travelling through the whole terrain by your own vehicle, the suggested vehicle is SUV. The journey would be
better, safe and comfortable journey.
- Few necessary things you need to keep them with yourself during the journey i.e. adequate water While travelling to Leh. Photocopies of your identity proof in 5 nos need to carry with you. This will help for permits during the border crossing of Himachal and J&K.
- As you reach the height of Leh. Spent some time to get acclimatized as there is low pressure and cause breathing problems and altitude sickness.
- Carrying a medical kit is very necessary while travelling to Leh Ladakh.
- Always keep warm clothes with you. In case if your clothes get wet or you feel cold then you can quickly change.
- There is no network from Manali to Leh except the BSNL. Don’t expect using GPS or route navigation during a road trip.
- If you are going by road, there is no fuel filling station for 400kms from Manali to Leh. Arrange sufficient fuel in cans for backup in midway.
- The natural beauty from Manali to Leh can’t be explained or picturized. It can only feel so plan a trip to Leh at least once in a life. Pangong Lake is one of the most beautiful Lake in the world.
- Accommodations at Pangong Lake is available for a night stay, both camps and local homestays are available. Local people of Leh provide homestays to the tourists and they are very helpful and cooperative.
- There is no such best time to visit Pangong Lake. If you want to enjoy the frozen Pangong Lake you can be there in January.
Ifwant to enjoy it in summer then June month is also best.
- In Terms of food, you cannot expect Pizza or burger. The simple and nutritious food is available in the camps and homestays. It is advisable to carry dry fruits and biscuits or cookies with you to control your hunger during the journey.
- Once returning from Pangong Lake to Leh, there are other different attractions nearby. They are Leh Palace, Shanti Stupa, Hall of Fame, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill, Hemis Monastery, Thiksey Monastery, Shey Palace, Turtuk Village, Deskit Monastery, Khardungla Pass and Nubra Valley.
I hope that you enjoyed this post and planning to visit Pangong Lake. Please share this post if you really enjoyed this post. Thanks.