In this article, I will cover how to reach Kedarnath from Delhi, how many means of transport are available from Delhi to Kedarnath, Time to open the Temple for devotees, the facilities and necessary items to carry for this sacred and adventurous trip.
How To Reach Kedarnath From Delhi By Road
Kedarnath Dham is located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttrakhand State, India. This famous temple is 11th of the famous 12 jyotirlingas in India. In reply to how to reach Kedarnath from Delhi, all the useful information is mentioned below:
- How to reach Kedarnath from Delhi is very simple by road.
- Starting from Delhi you can hire a taxi or board a bus service from Delhi to Dehradun. Gaurikund is 250Kms from Dehradun by road.
- You can also board a bus from Delhi to Haridwar.
- One route is from Delhi to Haridwar which is about 220km and second in Delhi to Dehradun which is about 255km by road.
- Both the routes are good and the road conditions also keep on improving day by day. If you are going by your own vehicle then Delhi to Haridwar on Delhi-Meerut highway via Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Roorkee-Haridwar is the best route.
- After reaching Haridwar you need to change the bus for Rishikesh.
- the next bus route will be Rishikesh to Guptkashi (Rudraprayag) which is 142km.
- On reaching Rudraprayag district, the journey towards Kedarnath starts from Guptkashi which is about 35km distant from Gaurikund.
- From Guptkashi you have a lot of options to reach Kedarnath.
- For better understanding, please look at the road route again, it’s Delhi to Rishikesh – Rishikesh to Guptkashi (Rudraprayag) – Guptkashi to Gaurikund – Gaurikund to Kedarnath.
- The only route customization or available options for mode of travel like by rail, air or road is available up to Rishikesh after that only a common road route is available.
How to reach Kedarnath From Delhi By Train
- If you want to go by train then please board the train from Delhi up to Rishikesh.
- You can also board the train from Delhi to Dehradun as the numbers of direct trains are more between Delhi to Dehradun.
- From Dehradun, you can board local trains from Dehradun to Rishikesh as it is the nearest railway station from Gaurikund.
- The distance from Rishikesh to Gaurikund is 209kms and there is no rail route from Rishikesh to Gaurikund.
How to Reach Kedarnath From Delhi by Air
- The nearest airport is Jolly Grant or Dehradun airport located 30km southeast of Dehradun.
- From Dehradun, you need to follow the same road route up to Gaurikund which is 250Kms.
Other Nearby Router for Kedarnath
- If you are travelling from Haldwani in Kumaon region to Gauri Kund, then road distance from Haldwani to Gauri Kund is 317km and nearest railway station is Kath goddam which is 312km from Gaurikund and airport is in Pantnagar.
How To Reach From Guptkashi (Rudraprayag) To Kedarnath
- There is a stay gupt kashi which is 35km before Gauri kund and another stay phata 20km before Gauri kund from where helicopter services are available to Kedarnath.
- 16km from phata towards Gauri kund another stay is Son Prayag where govt parking is available and you can park your car here on nominal charges of 120/- for the first 24hrs and 100/- for every next 24hrs.
- From Son Prayag, you need to take a shared taxi for Gauri kung which is only 5km from Son Prayag. There are a lot of hotels, shops, market and restaurants are available in Sonprayag.
- From Gaurikund there is about 18km trek.
You can also read these below articles:
Pangong Lake- Beautiful place to visit in the summer holidays
Some Useful Information and Fares of Local Convenience
- Helicopter seat charge from gupt kashi to Kedarnath is about 7500 for both sides and just half for one side.
- The seat fare of the helicopter from phata is about 6700/- for both sides.
- Currently, 6-7 heli service providers running flights in the route and fair may vary. Please keep updated with the online booking websites for the latest fare information.
- In Sonprayag, there are a bio matric registration counters for the passengers trekking to Kedarnath.
- There is a bridge few metres away from the Sonprayag market from where travellers can get shuttle service to Gauri Kund. Taxi fare is INR 20 per seat from SonPrayag to Gaurikund (5KMS).
Information About Geography And Arrangements
Son Prayag is on the bank of river Mandakini. The origin of Mandakini river is Chorabari Glacier near about 4km far from Kedarnath. MAndakini river joins Alaknanda river at Rudraprayag.
There is a horse stand few metres after shops in Gaurikund, from where pilgrims can hire pony or horses. Doli, palki can also be hire from there for kedarnath.
After Gaurikund, there is a helipad in Cheerbasa which was built for emergency landing during natural calamity. Except for Kedarnath, there are a few helipads in the route are in Bhimbali and Lincholi.
Due to being in high altitude location of Kedarnath region, it is very cold in the morning and evening. And sometimes the cold increases after the rains, so please carry winter clothes and raincoat with you while travelling to Kedarnath.
On the way you can find huts and tents to stay, also there are tea stalls, small restaurant for refreshment in places like Jungle Chatti and Bhimbali. There is only one way for both horses and pilgrims.
The best part of the route is running drinking water available at many places in the way. Health relief camps with paramedical staffs in many places and washrooms at a regular distance are available.
Shelters in many places to protect from rain are also available on the route. Waterfalls and natural beauty allure you.
Rambada comes in a midway from Gaurikund to Kedarnath and Kedarnath base camp is about a kilometre away from the basecamp and horses beyond basecamp are not allowed.
On reaching Kedarnath, a feeling comes as we have reached in heaven and heaven is not a geographical location upwards, it’s on the earth only which is at Kedarnath. Looking at the natural beauty, it seems that nature has opened its treasures here.
There are 2 tourist guest houses of Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam, one is near base camp and other is near Temple.
Long before coming into politics, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi stayed here for several days for meditation and worship.
Kedarnath Temple opens for devotees in the first or second week of May. It is at the bank of river Mandakini. The magnificent view of the temple attracts when you climb temple stairs.
Stories Of Kedarnath Temple
There are many legendary stories about lord Shiva in Kedarnath.
According to Skanda Purana, once Maa Parvati asked Lord Shiva why this region is so significant for you. Then Lord Shiva replied- Kedar region is very dear to him He always resides here with his followers. He has been residing in this region since he incarnated as a form of Brahma, to form the cosmos.
Another tale in Skanda Puran, this is a very sacred place. In this place, if death occurs, not only the humans but the animals, birds also attain salvation.
After the Kurukshetra war, the Pandava brothers came here to meet Shiva on the advice of the sage Vyasa because they wanted to seek forgiveness for killing their kin during the war.
However, Shiva didn’t want to forgive them: so he turned into a bull and hide among the cattle on the hill. When the Pandavas managed to track him, he tried to disappear by sinking himself, head-first into the ground.
One of the Pandavas Bhim grabbed his tail, forcing him to appear before them and forgive them. The Pandava brothers then built the first temple at Kedarnath.
The portion of Shiva’s body later appeared at four other locations, and collectively these five locations or places came to known as the five Kedars (Panch Kedar). Hump appeared in Kedarnath, head of the bull appeared at the location of the Pashupati Nath Temple in Nepal.
Four other parts of the bull appeared, respectively, arms in Tungnath, face in Rudranath, navel at Madya Maheshwari, the hair at Kalpeshwar.
In the 2013 Kedarnath disaster, the only thing that left was the Lord Shiva temple Kedarnath and rest everything was washed out with the flow of flood.
The height of 11000 feet the beautiful Kedarnath temple is still the centre of attraction for over a million of pilgrims and every year millions of pilgrims visit the sacred place.
At such height, the arrangements of food and lodging by the Garhwal Mandal Nigam are very good.
I have covered all the travelling, route and other necessary information for your sacred trip to Kedarnath. If you have any queries or questions please mention in the below comment box. Please share this useful information to your friends and needy who are planning to Kedarnath Yatra.
You can also customize your trip as all the means of transportations is mentioned on the map.